Are you ready to book a genetic counseling session?
Select where you will be located at the time of your appointment.
*The states bolded indicate a state where genetic counselor licensure is required. It’s important for us to know which state you’ll be in at the time of your appointment so we can provide a qualified genetic counselor for you!
How much does genetic counseling cost?
- The standard fee is $200/initial consult.
- Follow-up consults to review genetic testing results are $100.
- Consultations for additional family members related to the same genetic concern are $100.
- Consults to review direct-to-consumer testing results are $275.
- If third party service used was Promethease, use booking code “PROMETHEASE” for $50 off.
A credit card is required to book an appointment.
Every genetic counseling
- Review of your personal health history
- Review of 3-4 generations of your family health history
- Discussion of the genetic contribution to various health conditions
- Discussion of any available genetic testing options, including their potential utility as well as practical quality and cost issues
- Discussion of how genetic testing results may or may not impact your personalized healthcare recommendations
- Discussion of implications of any genetic test results for your family members
- Review of results of any clinical genetic testing you may have already had done
After your genetic counseling consult…
Within 2 days after your appointment, you will receive a consult note from your genetic counselor, summarizing your personal and family health history as well as your discussion and any related testing options.
If, after counseling, you want to have genetic testing done, your genetic counselor will work with your chosen healthcare provider to order testing and be available to them for any questions they may have about your results and the implications for your personalized plan of care.
How It Works
BOOKING & FEES FAQ
Are Grey Genetics consults refundable?
Yes! Any appointment scheduled can be canceled up to 48 hours ahead of the appointment’s scheduled time. Any appointments cancelled less than 48 hours in advance will be charged a $50 cancellation fee. Any appointments cancelled less than 24 hours in advance will be charged the full fee.
What if I don’t have access to high-speed internet?
No worries! We also offer consults by telephone. We can accommodate whatever your preference is: phone or video-call.
Does Grey Genetics accept insurance?
At this time we are a direct patient billing service which allows us to eliminate administrative costs and pass those savings on to you. We are happy to provide you with a receipt to send to your insurance company for possible reimbursement after services are rendered. Most commercial insurers do cover genetic counseling; CPT code 96040. You may also be able to use your Health Savings Account (HSA) to pay for genetic counseling services. We accept all major credit cards and HSA.
Does Grey Genetics offer discounts for financial hardship?
Yes! Grey Genetics has a limited number of spots available for low-income patients who have a clear medical indication for pre- or post-test genetic counseling. These appointments are billed on a sliding scale, guided by HHS Poverty Guidelines. Documentation of financial status (ex. tax return) is required and can be sent by secure email using this link.
Does Grey Genetics offer any pro bono services?
If you are a healthcare provider working in a country with limited or no access to genetic counseling and consulting services and serving low-income populations, Grey Genetics may be able to provide some services on a pro bono basis. Any pro bono work must be tied to clear public health goals and done within the framework of a formalized protocol for patient referral and follow-up locally by healthcare providers. Write to us and tell us about your situation!
Not quite ready to book or have questions about which consult is for you?
Check out our Genetics Chat option, schedule a free 10-minute call, or shoot us a message!