Are you ready to book a genetic counseling session?
Select where you will be located at the time of your appointment.
The states bolded indicate a state where genetic counselor licensure is required. It’s important for us to know which state you’ll be in at the time of your appointment so we can provide a qualified genetic counselor for you!
*South Dakota law requires a referral from a physician before genetic counseling can be provided.
How much does genetic counseling cost?
- The standard fee is $200/initial consult.
- Follow-up consults to review genetic testing results are $100.
- Consultations for additional family members (at separate appointment/s) related to the same genetic concern are $100.
- Consults to review direct-to-consumer testing results are $275.
- We are piloting lower priced consults for patients who first provide detailed family history through the FamGenix tool. (Ex. $125 for hereditary cancer consultation.) Interested but don’t see the option for your consult type? Email us to ask if it might be available!
- Grey Genetics partners with an independent physician group to be able to offer genetic test ordering services in all 50 states. In some states, your genetic counselor can order genetic testing for you independently. Ordering under your personal physician’s name is also an option. If neither of these two no-cost options are available to you, the cost of test ordering through the third party service is $25.
A credit card is required to book an appointment. Payment is due at the time of scheduling. Any changes or cancellations must be made at least 24 hours in advance.
Every genetic counseling
- Review of your personal health history
- Review of 3-4 generations of your family health history
- Discussion of the genetic contribution to various health conditions
- Discussion of any available genetic testing options, including their potential utility as well as practical quality and cost issues
- Discussion of how genetic testing results may or may not impact your personalized healthcare recommendations
- Discussion of implications of any genetic test results for your family members
- Review of results of any clinical genetic testing you may have already had done
After your genetic counseling consult…
Within 24-48 hours after your appointment, you will receive a consult note from your genetic counselor, summarizing your personal and family health history as well as your discussion and any related testing options. You will also receive your family history drawn out (pedigree).
If, after counseling, you want to have genetic testing done, your genetic counselor can coordinate this testing for you. In some states, your genetic counselor can order genetic testing for you independently. Ordering under your personal physician’s name is also an option. If neither of these two no-cost options are available to you, the cost of test ordering through a third party service is $25.
Your genetic counselor will be available by email to your current or future healthcare providers for any questions they may have about your results and the implications for your personalized plan of care. Your healthcare provider/s are encouraged to directly email the genetic counselor you saw with any questions. This email is included on each consult note. Calls are also possible but the time must be pre-arranged. Your genetic counselor will not spend time calling your doctor’s office to try to reach your dotor.
How It Works
BOOKING & FEES FAQ
What if I change my mind? Are Grey Genetics consults refundable?
Any appointments canceled with at least 24 hours notice will be fully refunded—minus the credit card processing fees. Any appointments cancelled less than 24 hours in advance will be charged the full fee. Genetic counselors often start preparing for an appointment and sometimes doing research well in advance of an appointment, so if you’re not yet sure if you want to schedule an appointment, please be considerate of your genetic counselor’s time and wait to schedule.
What if I don’t have access to high-speed internet?
No worries! We use the HIPAA-compliant videoconferencing platform Google Meet, but every Google Meet also has a call-in option. Your appointment confirmation email will include the unique link for your Google Meet appointment. The call-in details are not included in the email but can be accessed at the link. If for some reason you can receive an email but can’t view the site with the call-in details, please send an email to email@example.com and we will be happy to email you the call-in details in advance of your appointment.
Does Grey Genetics accept insurance?
At this time we are a direct patient billing service which allows us to eliminate administrative costs and pass those savings on to you. We are happy to provide you with a receipt to send to your insurance company for possible reimbursement after services are rendered. Most commercial insurers do cover genetic counseling; CPT code 96040. You may also be able to use your Health Savings Account (HSA) to pay for genetic counseling services. We accept all major credit cards and HSA.
Does Grey Genetics offer discounts for financial hardship?
Yes! Grey Genetics has a limited number of spots available for low-income patients who have a clear medical indication for pre- or post-test genetic counseling. These appointments are billed on a sliding scale, guided by HHS Poverty Guidelines. Documentation of financial status (ex. tax return) is required and can be sent by secure email using this link.
Not quite ready to book or have questions about which consult is for you?
Check out our Genetics Chat option, schedule a free 10-minute call, or shoot us a message!